Thursday, September 19, 2013

Birthday Boy

Okay, I know I stink at being consistent on blogging, but here I am again! 
My sweet son turned two on Sunday you guys. What?!? How can this even be possible!? So a few days before Owen's birthday I was contemplating on how elaborate I should make it. We planned on having our aunts and uncles that live here in KY over for dinner and dessert, but I didn't know if I wanted to make a themed birthday or what for Owen. So, I regrettably went on Pinterest and was bombarded by all these AMAZING, completely detailed ideas for little boy birthday parties. I mean, these mom's went WAY out! So, of course I felt like a terrible mother for not having tons of little kids over for a party. I hadn't made homemade decorations with place-cards to match. There were no plans to spend money on buying favors, let alone making them. Wow, I was so overwhelmed by guilt I decided to put a little extra effort into at least making it extra special and fun for Owen. I may not be a supermom, but I feel like I try to be a pretty dang good one;)
If you know Owen, you know he loves trains. Our cute little town has a train that goes right through it, so we see it regularly. Every time we drive across the train tracks (usually daily), he yells "train tracks"! We also go to the library twice a week, where he could spend hours at the train table. He just loves it. He's also a huge fan of Thomas the Train. So, I had been wanting to find him his own train set and table, but they are just so expensive! After looking for several months, I told myself it just wasn't going to work out for his birthday. Maybe we could save up for Christmas to get him one. BUT then my sweet friend from our ward, and one of Owen's babysitters, offered to sell theirs to us because her kids just weren't playing with it. YAY! I think I was more excited than Owen! We got it from them just in time for Owen's birthday.
Owen's birthday was on Stake Conference Sunday, so we enjoyed a great Sabbath morning at church, and then came home to party. While Owen napped Riley set up his train table and arranged all the pieces so cute. I did in fact put my creative skills to use, and made some cute little rail road signs to make Owen's birthday a somewhat "themed" party. HE LOVED IT. When he woke up from his nap and spotted his new train table, he got a huge smile on his face and said, "WHOA" as he ran toward it. Made our day as parents.







Our own choo-choo tracks







Riley also got him his very own skateboard, since he is constantly begging to go "board" with daddy.






Aunt Lisa and Uncle Ray were so sweet to give Owen a couple new books, which he loves!



And he also got spoiled by Aunt Julie and Uncle Bob!



He loved being the center of attention, opening up presents, and attempting to hold up only two fingers when asked how old he was now. It really is the funniest thing ever.






So excited for chocolate cake!


Owen had a great birthday, at least I'm pretty sure he did. We are so grateful to our aunts and uncles for coming over to help make Owen's day special. We are so blessed to have them here so close, since we are away from immediate family at this time. I know that Owen also loved getting the phone calls, FaceTime calls, Skype, cards, etc. from all the other family. What a tremendous blessing for him to have so many people who love him! 

I mean, how could you not love this face?!



Happy Second Birthday My Sweet Son!




1 comment: